It is alarming how Alzheimer's and similar dementia dieases are seemingly striking people at younger ages than they used to. More than likely it has to do with the toxic world we live in and poor diets with our culture embracing so much processed fast foods. In view of that, it is increasingly difficult to completely live toxic and additive free today. So nurturing our bodies not only with good healthy organic foods, but also supplementing with much needed lost nutrients is important, not just for our bodies in general, but even more importantly for that organ which controls all our bodily functions and makes us the competant individuals we become--our BRAINS!
Most people do not think about whether or not our brains are getting the support and nutrition needed to function at its best potential. Yet most of us would not want to spend the end of our days not even recognizing our own loved ones! And many think that it is not apt to happen to them; however, statistics show that more are being afflicted with these dementia diseases and at younger and younger ages. There are supplements which helps combat these opponents to our brain cells. The following eight substances greatly improve brain function and structure, keeping it rejuvinated.
1. Vinpocetine which supports oxyzen to brain cells and improves circulation by improving blood flow to the capillaries.
2. Bacopin repairs damaged nerve synapes improving transmission therefore increasing memory.
3. Phospatidylserine found in cell membranes which improve memory, restoring age related defects and preventing nerve degeneration.
4. Acetyl-L Carnitine (ALC) which assists in meeting sufficient acetylcholine for nerve transmission.
5. DMAE or dimethylaminsethonal, effects the levels of neuro-transmitter, acetylcholine.
6. Ginko Bilboa an herb used in the treatment of Alzheimer's which improves circulation and mental alertness.
7. L-Glutamine, an amino acid helping in concentration and known for fighting the effects of stress, resulting in more brain energy.
8. St. John's Wort, an herb used in treatment of depression/anxiety cases which stabilizes mood.
One word of caution--if you are taking MAO, or anti-coagulant medication, ask your physician before taking any supplement, containing St. John's Wort as it may conflict with these types of medications. Practical methods of keep your mind sharp are: reading, puzzles, crosswords and word searches, and keeping active.